- Sergio G. Longhitano, Dipartimento di Scienze, Università degli Studi della Basilicata, Potenza
- Claudio Casciano, ARPA Puglia
- Claudio Di Celma, Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra, Università degli Studi di Camerino
- Marco Patacci, University College, Dublin
- Marcello Tropeano, Dipartimento di Scienze della Terra e Geoambientali, Università di A. Moro Bari
17-18 September 2023
The Miocene Gorgoglione Flysch Fm records the stratigraphic product of protracted sediment transfer and deposition through a long-lived submarine channel system developed in a narrow and elongated thrust-top basin of the Southern Apennines (Italy). Channel-fill deposits are exposed in an outcrop belt approximately 500 m thick and 15 km long, oriented oblique to the paleoflow, which was roughly south-eastward. These exceptional exposures of channel-fill strata allow participants to observe stacking architectures and to discuss the evolution of the channels and to the effects of syn-sedimentary thrust tectonics and basin confinement on the depositional system. The two days of the field trip are thus focused on observation of spectacular panoramic sections, constantly integrated by close-up views of the component part of the Gorgoglione channel complex.
17-09 - Departure from Potenza h 8:30. Destination: Pietrapertosa, where we will spend the first half day in 4 stops around the town. Lunch break and transfer to Castelmezzano, where we will visit 2 major stops. Return to Potenza and dinner (accommodation not included).
18-09 - Departure from Potenza h 8:00. Destination: Gorgoglione. First introductive and panoramic stop. Subsequent 3 stops around the town. Return to Potenza and dinner (accommodation not included).
120 € (including field-trip guide book, transfers, lunch packs and dinners)